Current Exercise and Weight Loss Goals

Saturday, January 9, 2010

16 Weeks to a Half-Marathon

In 16 Weeks and 1 day I will be running a half-marathon. It will be 4 days before my 40th birthday. This week I have been gearing up and setting my goals and making plans on how I can reach the incredible goal of finishing a half marathon. I work part-time. I am a mom with 5 kids at home and one in college. I have 2 church callings and my husband is a counselor in the bishopric. Sounds like the perfect time to run a half-marathon.


Every couple of days I'm going to write my progress (or lack thereof) on my blog. I plan to lose 13 pounds by May 2nd. (That is the big half-marathon day.)

This week I started exercising again. I was just aiming for 20 minutes a day for 4 days, because I needed a goal that I felt I could reach. This gearing up worked. I know because last night I dreamed of running again!

Wed-Jan 6th- 10 minutes of upper body weights
Thurs-Jan 7th- 3 Fast Miles walking DVD & 45 min. shoveling snow
Fri-Jan 8th- 4 Fast Miles walking DVD & 45 min. shoveling snow

Saturday-Jan 9th. Today Shane took the kids to the Primary activity. I started the dishwasher, ate my Special K cereal breakfast (that is important because I really hate breakfast cereal, but this one tastes good and is part of my diet goals), straightened up the kitchen, started the laundry, popped in my walking DVD, and then got ready to exercise.


I was lacing up my shoes and watching the DVD intro when suddenly I realized I was ALONE! I could actually leave the house for a run if I wanted. I couldn't believe my luck! That NEVER happens. I quickly switched to cold weather running clothes, grabbed my cell phone, and RAN OUT THE DOOR!

I am so proud of myself. I haven't run outside since early December. I ran 2.8 miles in 32 minutes. I had to walk about a fourth of the time, but that is not too bad since I've not been exercising and I've been eating junk food!


I handled the cold pretty well. I need to remember to put on Chapstick, wear heavier gloves, and switch to a hat that covers my ears. Other than that, it was PERFECT!


So, wish me luck. I am heading to one of the biggest acheivements I have ever set my heart on.

7 comments:

ANTSYLLI said...

Way to go! You should wear your tiara all day to remind others of your awesomeness. Can;'t wait to see you finish the half marathon.

Kim said...

Way to go Maura, way to go (clap, clap, clap)! You can do it. We all have time commitment challenges - but it's important to remember to put us first as well... Keep up the great work, and the more you post, the more of a cheering section you'll have!

Shayleen Lunt said...

I'm glad we could keep your kids entertained for a bit this morning ;)

Cassie Rakes said...

Well first congrats on getting outside to run, I am realizing how hard that is with the new one.
Second good luck on the prep and running, it's a lot of work, and you'll be awesome, I only wish I could say I will be joining you : (

Mama D said...

You are amazing. I love the talent you have of setting realistic goals and working hard to achieve them!

chelle said...

Can you get any more amazing?!?!
Oh wait you can and will when you run this half marathon! Keep it up girl!

Patty said...

You rock!! Good luck with all your goals!